Salt, Gold, Steel and Ghosts (Spellbound Kingdoms)
Edward the Blade
Akran Pirate extraordinaire, freedom fighter and mad as a sack of hammers
Edward the Blade is a freebooter operating out of Rithaign, speaking with a foreign accent and living in a rundown tenemant in the docks. He has the manner of a longtime sailor, but seems shorebound at the moment. Outspoken, drunk and living in poverty, Edward clearly has a storied history. He is apparently on first name terms with Ginny Siddal, the head of the Merchants Below, and has some history with the Axemen. He leaped at the first opportunity to join the Axemen – a choice that would seem suicidal to an ordinary person.
Edward evidentally has a strong rebellious streak and very little regard for personal safety – what other kind of person would help a stranger conduct a raid on the Dryght the very same day they met them? Either that or he has a death wish, or a serious unresolved grudge.
He has history with Rochelle la Roche – they know each other well and apparently have a vendetta or rivalry of some sort. They have agreed to work together but obviously do not get on.
Blackjack told quite a few stories about things Edward has gotten up to over the years. It’s not clear how much of it is bullshit (and some of them are rather outlandish) but here is a selection of some of the more entertaining ones:
- Edward was once hanged for piracy in Steerk, was thrown a sword by one of his crew and held himself up with one hand while, using the cutlass in his other hand, fighting off the hangman and one of his sworn enemies who was also being hanged.
- Edward’s crew once helped Blackjack fight off a kraken which was attacking his ship. Edward climbed onto the body of the beast and rammed a boarding pike through its eye. Afterwards, it turned out Edward thought Blackjack’s ship actually belonged to Edward’s friend Captain Mede.
- Edward once threw a firebomb at Erhi Kaur Hari on her birthday because she insulted his ship. She later forgave him after he shot an assassin trying to poison her.
- Edward and Benedicta Anfield once duelled for over an hour on a sinking, on-fire ship trying to stop the other one from getting off, until the ship literally sank beneath the waves around them.
- Edward once got drunk and tried to burn down a port town in Jakatta, thinking it was East Fire. Sun Templars nearly sacrificed him to their Queen until his crew rescued him.